Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Favorites - Part 2

I first had these light and fluffy rolls at my good friend Ingrid’s house at Thanksgiving several years ago and they have been on the menu every year since. This year I tried making the dough in my bread machine to save time and they turned out exactly the same as mixing the dough by hand. The only difference I noted in the finished rolls is that the flavor of the cardamom was less pronounced than I remember - but they were still delicious. I think next time I will add a bit more cardamom as I really like the flavor. Just add all ingredients in the order suggested by your bread machine manual and process on the dough/first rise cycle. I still made the dough a day ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator overnight according to the recipe. Next time I make these I want to try substituting some of the flour for whole wheat. I’ll keep you posted!

* * *


Feather Buns


Yield: Makes 32 rolls

1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) dry yeast
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1 tsp ground cardamom

Combine yeast and water and let stand until bubbly. Beat the eggs slightly and add to the yeast. Cut butter into the sugar, salt and cardamom. Blend in 3 cups of the flour. Add egg mixture. Work in last cup of flour. The dough will be quite sticky. Cover dough in bowl and let stand overnight in refrigerator.

Divide dough into fourths and roll each into a 1/8th inch thick round. Cut into eight pie-shaped pieces and roll each triangle from large end to small into a crescent. Place on greased cookie sheets at least 3 inches apart (they really spread out.) Let rise 3 hours. Bake 12 minutes at 375 degrees, being careful not to burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment